Storybook Plan: Wonder Women

If you take a look back at this post, you'll see the rough outline I made a week or so ago about my storybook project plan. This week, I'm going to refine that plan a little bit, and get some more clear ideas about what I want to do with my project.

So far, I have three stories I want to pursue with my project: the stories of Medusa, Atalanta, and the Amazons as a whole (maybe with a focus on the stories of prominent Amazons like Hippolyta, Antiope or Penthesilea). Overall, I want my project to focus on the misogyny of ancient Greek storytelling, told by one of its most prominent victims. Let's break it down below:

Medusa
I really want this project to focus on Medusa's story, because her story is so prominent in Greek mythology. For this project, I've decided to make Medusa the forefront of the Wonder Women: her story will be the introduction (told in her point of view, of course), and she will tell the stories of Atalanta and the Amazons from a feminist perspective throughout the project. I think, what a better way to tell the stories of powerful women than having THE powerful woman sharing her perspective. In order to tell Medusa's story, I plan to use the resources listed in my last project post. I also have this source below that I'm going to read up on for my project:
1. Rape or Romance: Bad Feminism in Mythical Retellings by Aimee Hinds

Atalanta
As far as Atalanta's story goes, I plan to use the stories listed in my last post, but I also want to add one more source (listed below) from the Untextbook, which tells Atalanta and Hippomenes's story from Ovid's point of view. As I mentioned above, Medusa will tell this story, interjecting feminist commentary throughout the story. I think I'll briefly mention Atalanta's story about the boar hunt, but focus more on her race with Hippomenes.
1. Untextbook Source: Ovid's Metamorphoses 

The Amazons
It seems daunting to cover the entire story of the Amazons in one small project, so I think I might focus more on specific Amazons, like Hippolyta, Antiope and Penthesilea instead of the entire group. I might have Medusa mention the misogynistic treatment of the entire group once or twice in telling these stories. I've included some sources on the specific women below. They all have interesting stories, and some of the stories are the same (because the people who originally told the stories apparently didn't know if they happened to Hippolyta or Antiope). Penthesilea's prominent story in Greek mythology includes Achilles, so it might be interesting to include some feminist commentary about the Trojan war in my project as well.
1. Wikipedia: Hippolyta
2. Wikipedia: Penthesilea
3. Wikipedia: Antiope
4. Ancient Origins: The Dramatic Life and Death of Pentheselia: Queen of the Amazons

Hercules and Hippolyta, by Eugene Delacroix. Source: Wikimedia Commons.

Comments

Popular Posts