Topic Brainstorm: Feminist Greek Stories

If you took a look at this post from last week, I brainstormed quite a few ideas about what I want my final storybook project to be about. From this list, I think I really love my idea of writing the feminist version of Medusa's story. But, as I thought more about my project, I think I might like to include more Greek stories that should be feminist, but originally aren't, like that of the Amazons or Atalanta. Here are some resources I might use below:

Medusa
For this story, I'm thinking I'll retell how Medusa was created at what her abilities were for from Athena's point of view. The original story was told by the Roman poet Ovid, who probably didn't have as much of a feminist point of view as I do. I want to adjust the story so that Athena gave Medusa these abilities in order to protect herself from ever being hurt by someone like Poseidon again.
1. Wikipedia
2. Medusa and the Female Gaze by Susan R. Bowers
3. The Rape of Medusa: Feminist Revision of Medusa in Stanford and DuPlessis
4. Ovid's Metamorphoses: Book 4

Atalanta
The story of Atalanta, also told by male poets, is about a woman who defied traditional gender roles in ancient Greece, and faced repercussions and trivialization for it. I want to retell her story from a more feminist perspective as well, so that her life isn't based around the expectations of Greek men.
1. Wikipedia
2. The Amazons by Adrienne Mayor
3. The Atalanta Legend in Art and Literature

The Amazons
Much like the two examples above, I want to retell the story of the Amazons (probably just a small portion of it, because the Amazons are an entire group of people) from a more feminist perspective. Traditionally, the Amazons were depicted by Greek poets as out of control, animal-like warrior women, most likely because they didn't conform to traditional Greek gender roles.
1. The Amazons by Adrienne Mayor
2. Wikipedia

Medusa mural by Lango in the Haight-Ashbury neighborhood in San Francisco, California. Source: Wikimedia Commons.

Comments

Popular Posts