Week 4 Story Lab: Crash Course Mythology

Good morning, everyone! This week, instead of telling a story, I'm watching some Crash Course Mythology videos and including my thoughts below. I'm a huge fan of Crash Course (I happily let the Green brothers teach me everything) so I jumped at the chance to watch some more of the channel's videos. Plus, I had a big test this morning, so it's nice to just watch a video and write some notes down instead of having to plan and write an entire story.

After watching the overview introduction video, I think it's really interesting how the word myth really calls into question whether mythology is true. When I read the stories I've been assigned (which, so far, have been Homer's The Iliad and Ovid's Metamorphoses), I like to think that these stories are true (at least those of The Iliad, not those where people change into trees and whatnot). Unless an old story includes some sort of supernatural element, it's easy to believe that it's true, which is maybe why the stories last so long. But, when a story is more modern, and is labeled with a myth, it's easy to believe it's false. Weird how that works.

In the second video, I learned more about different theories of mythology and prominent mythologists. I realize now that I don't really like to think of mythology in psychological terms. This video talked about mythology in the perspective of different schools of thought, and how different psychologists and mythologists define mythology in different ways, like in terms of dichotomies or binaries. I like to think of mythology in a more open and limitless way, instead of focusing on one aspect of it.

Lastly, I watched the video about The Hero's Journey. It's very cool that each hero and heroine story told throughout history follows a similar framework. There may be 17 total steps to a complete hero's journey, but it's nice that not every hero has to follow each of the 17 steps. There's so much variety in hero stories, but it's interesting that so many foundations of hero stories are the same. Please enjoy the gif of two Spidermen running into one another below, because we all know that Spiderman's story gets told over and over and over again (thanks Sony).

Two Spidermen, a gif. Source: Giphy.


Comments

Popular Posts