Week 10 Story Lab: TV Tropes

This week, I'm going to be looking at some different TV tropes that I find interesting, and compiling those notes here. These TV tropes were found thanks to tvtropes.org.

Because the latest and final Star Wars trailer was released last night, I'm going to take a look at some prominent tropes that might be found in relation to the Star Wars movies. I grew up watching these movies (because my parents are giant Star Wars nerds), and I have to say that a little bit of that love for Star Wars was passed along to me. It absolutely doesn't surpass my love for Harry Potter, but it's there, I guess.

One thing I thought of when I thought of Star Wars movies was that the movie posters are always similar: characters stacked on top of one another. I didn't know this was a trope that is often used in movies with elements of action and a ton of characters you should remember. Apparently, the positioning of the characters is related to their importance in the movie-- more important characters are usually larger, on the top of the pile, or more at the forefront. Usually, the evil character of the film can be seen at the back of the poster, overlooking the protagonists. But, this trope isn't just limited to Star Wars movies-- though you could argue that Star Wars movies made this positioning popular, it's used in other franchises as well. Take, for example, the Avengers: Endgame movie poster.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Poster. Source: Disney.
Avengers: Endgame poster. Source: Insider.




















I spent a little time looking through all the tropes featured in Star Wars: The Last Jedi (just because it's the most recent Star Wars movie I've watched). A huge part of that movie is the ending where (SPOILER ALERT) Kylo Ren and Luke Skywalker fight it out on that salty-looking planet (I'm not going to pretend I'm a big enough fan to know what the unimportant planet names are). The kicker of this fight is that Luke isn't really there, fighting Kylo Ren like Kylo thinks he is. It's revealed at the end of the fight that Luke is just an astral projection-- he used the force to project himself in front of Kylo, distracting him so the rebels could get away in the Millenium Falcon.

The use of astral projections is a trope, it turns out.  A character can separate themselves from their physical body, becoming what is essentially a ghost, and do whatever they want. This can happen on purpose or by accident. Funnily enough, this is also a trope that you can find in Avengers: Endgame. (SPOILER ALERT). When the Avengers travel back in time to collect all of the Infinity Stones, Hulk goes to get the Time stone from the Ancient One, who basically smacks him into becoming an astral projection (she literally punches his soul right out of his body). He exists like that for a bit, until she ultimately allows his soul to return to his body so he can complete his mission.

It's kind of cool that Star Wars and the Avengers movies have so many similar tropes. Maybe it's because they're both made by Disney? Or because they have similar hero-plots?

Comments

Popular Posts