Week 5 Story: You Ain't Never Had a Friend Like.... Us?

After Aladdin had been brutally shoved back into the cave full of treasures, he had no idea what he was going to do. The cave had sealed shut- there was no way out. That two-faced son of a jackal had betrayed him, and will more than likely get him killed if he couldn't find his way out of the cave. Aladdin sat down on an old, dusty oriental rug, holding the lamp he had worked so hard to find, and contemplated his life choices thus far. In his musings, he absently rubbed the ring the magician had given him, twisting it around his finger.

Suddenly, a plume of smoke appeared in front of him, and a large, red being formed. He had dark bronze bracelets around either wrist and a matching hoop earring in one ear. He glowered down at Aladdin, who was frozen in shock, and rumbled "Who dares summon the genie of the ring?"

Aladdin, in his haste to get away, tripped on the oriental rug, rubbing his leg against the lamp laying on the carpet. The lamp immediately turned bright red and, shaking, released a plume of smoke and fireworks. From the fray emerged a new figure, a blue genie with golden cuffs around his wrists and a dark goatee.

Aladdin was terrified, to say the least. He had unleashed one scary genie already- he didn't need to deal with two. He watched in a horrified fascination as the red genie shifted his glowering gaze to the blue genie, who yawned loudly and stretched, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Wow, ten thousand years will give you such a crick in the neck!" the genie said, surveying the scene around him. The red genie continued to scowl as the blue genie studied him quickly, a quick frown appearing on his face. The genie of the lamp and the genie of the ring had crossed paths before, many thousands of years ago, and the blue genie was not enthused to have to work with him again. The genie of the ring had absolutely no sense of humor whatsoever. He didn't laugh, smile, or ever change his facial expression from one that made him look like he was contemplating murder.

The blue genie turned and found the trembling, cowering human on the ground, looking around frantically as if searching for an escape route. The lamp the genie had emerged from lay next to his leg, forgotten.

So this must be my new master, thought the blue genie. He's a little shaky thing, isn't he?

"Hey, are you alright? What's your name?" the blue genie asked, leaning down to get a closer look at the human.

The human's head jerked toward the blue genie, eyes wide and afraid. He said lowly, "Uh, my name is Aladdin."

"Aladdin!" the blue genie exclaimed happily in reply, trying to lighten the mood. "Can we call you Al? Or maybe just Din? Or here's a good one- how about Laddy?"

Aladdin looked confused, frowning slightly. The red genie's facial expression had not changed the entire time he'd been floating there. Needless to say, the situation was uncomfortable.

"Um, Aladdin is fine."

"Hey, you're a lot smaller than I was expecting. My last master was much bigger. Or maybe I'm getting bigger," the blue genie frowned, patting his exposed stomach and turned to the red genie. "Do I look different to you?" he asked the red genie, who scowled and said nothing in reply. The blue genie sighed and turned back to Aladdin.

"Wait, I'm your master?" replied Aladdin, whose fear seemed to be slowly diminishing.

"Well you did summon us didn't you? I am the all powerful, all knowing genie of the lamp, here to entertain you and grant your every wish," the blue genie said, bowing to Aladdin as if he were a waiter in a fancy restaurant. "This delightful dandelion over here is the genie of the ring," he motioned to the red genie, whose eyes seemed to glow with fury. The blue genie turned back to Aladdin and said, "Before you ask- no, it's nothing you did. He just has a very strong RBF, if you know what I mean."

Aladdin gave the blue genie a small smile and replied, "So if I'm your master, you have to grant my wishes. What can I wish for?"

The blue genie, excited and overly enthusiastic, clapped his hands together, conjuring a band as happy jazz music began to play. "Well, master, why don't you just have a seat, whilst I illuminate the possibilities!"

The blue genie had always had a flair for theatrics.

"Well Ali-Baba, he had them 40 thieves, Scheherazade had 1000 tales-"

The blue genie had just begun the first verse of the song when the music came to a screeching halt, the band disappearing in a puff of smoke.

"NO SINGING," boomed the red genie, who looked more furious than ever, if that was even possible.

The blue genie sighed, rolling his eyes. How typical. Fine, I guess we'll have to do this the boring way.

Genie dancing, from Disney's Aladdin (1992). Source: Giphy.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Hello everybody! I hope you enjoyed my story this week. This week, I read about Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp, part of Scheherazade's "The 1001 Nights". This story was very interesting to me, especially because I love the Disney version so much (as you can probably tell). In the original Aladdin story, Aladdin ends up stranded in the cave of treasures, but gets out by summoning the genie of the ring. Later in the story, Aladdin's mother accidentally summons the genie of the lamp while trying to clean the lamp. This is clearly very different from the Disney movie, in which Aladdin summons the genie of the lamp while in the Cave of Wonders, who sings to him and saves him. I decided to combine the stories a bit, by having Aladdin summon the genie of the ring (who I made extra scary, even though he isn't in the original story) and the genie of the lamp in the cave.

Disclaimer: Of course, the genie of the lamp is Robin Williams's beloved Genie character. Some of the lines I used in the story are directly from the movie; I used these to convey that the character I was using was the character in the movie. That dialogue is not mine- it belongs to Disney. I added some of my own little twists in with it though.

BIBLIOGRAPHY
"The Arabian Nights Entertainments" by Andrew Lang. WebSource: Untexbook.

Aladdin. Directed by Ron Clements and John Musker, Walt Disney Pictures, 25 Nov., 1992.

Comments

  1. Abbi,
    I like the way you changed this story. I think you did a good job of adding in another genie while still making the story flow. I love Aladdin too! You did a good job of replicating the story without copying it. I was not sure, but is the red genie of the ring from a different story? How did Aladdin get into the cave? Do you think the red genie will come around once Aladdin gets to know him? Maybe then the blue genie will understand him more and they will become friends? At the beginning of this story I would like some more context on how Aladdin entered the cave. I think it would also be great to add more of Aladdin's reaction to everything. Maybe make him even more scared since he is trapped in a cave with two genies and a magic carpet? Making the story a little more realistic might bring some more comedy to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Abbi!
    This was a really solid story, you did a great job writing this. I loved some of your descriptions, especially "a blue genie with golden cuffs around his wrists and a dark goatee." It really helped me visualize what was going on. Aladdin stories are always fun, and you did a great job mixing in your own creativity with elements from the classic movie and the story you read. I also enjoyed the dialogue, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Abbi! I liked the way you retold this, incorporating the Disney version and the Arabian Nights story! The blue genie was obviously very familiar for me, which I appreciated. I liked that I could read something familiar with the mystery that comes with a new character and plot twist. I also liked that we could hear the blue genie's thoughts, but not the other character's thoughts. I wonder what the red genie was thinking! I really enjoyed reading your story and can't wait to read more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Abbi! I just recently watched the new Alladin movie, so I am really glad that I was able to read your rendition of the iconic story. Including quotes from the movie is such as clever idea and highlights the true origin of the famous movie. Additionally, adding the red genie was a cool and new addition that did not take away from the original story at all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts