Time Strategies

When someone is as busy as I am, as a full-time student with quite a few commitments outside of class, it's absolutely essential to manage time wisely. Without the time management skills I've gained throughout my years of schooling, I would have lost track of what I was doing a very long time ago. I think that, so far, I've done an okay job managing my time. That might be because I'm a sucker for a cute planner, a dry-erase wall calendar or sticky notes. But, that doesn't mean I don't have my time management issues. When I don't want to do something that I need to do, I can be a horrible procrastinator. So, I read some articles about time management to see the perspectives of others about what time management success looks like.

According to Aine Cain of Business Insider, some methods of successful time management include writing everything down, making a schedule for every day so you always know what you're supposed to be doing, and keeping procrastination to an absolute minimum. Making a schedule for every single minute of each day sounded a bit excessive to me at first, but maybe it's a great tip for someone who loves to stay organized. If you always know what you're doing, you don't have much time to procrastinate.

I also read the article "How to Beat Procrastination" by Caroline Webb of the Harvard Business Review, because procrastination can be a real problem for me in some situations. She said that the root of procrastination stems from the inability to visualize how the benefits of doing something outweigh the pain of doing that thing. Some fixes to that problem include imagining how great it will be do have that thing done, or committing to doing that thing to someone who can hold you accountable. I think that these are great ideas, because if I spent more time thinking about how great it will be to get an A on a test I really don't want to study for, maybe I would study more. Or, if I told my friend I would study for a test, and then I didn't, it would not be fun to listen to her give me a lecture about my procrastination.

In all reality, I think the best method of time management would be to get a time-turner like Hermione Granger's from Harry Potter. Then, of course, I would have time for everything.

A gif from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban of Harry and Hermione traveling back in time using her time-turner. Source: Giphy.

Comments

Popular Posts