Storybook Favorites: Browsing Past Projects

Today, I've started browsing past projects in Mythology and Folklore so that I can see examples of the project we need to turn in at the end of the semester. I'm not sure what I was expecting from this project- I thought maybe it would be like a research paper. However, I've been surprised to see the creative elements of the storybook project at work. Here are a few of the storybook projects I found most interesting!

Project 1: Three Brothers

This project encompasses the thoughts and feelings of three major Roman gods: Jupiter, Neptune and Pluto. It was interesting to see the Roman interpretations of the classic Greek gods I've known for so long: Zeus, Poseidon and Hades, respectively. Most importantly, though, it was great to see the creative writing element of the project that showed how each of these gods felt about a modern earthly problem, like nuclear warfare or global warming. The project seems like it was very well done and very creative.

Project 2: Witches of Oz

This project retells the beloved story of The Wizard of Oz from the point of view of the witches you think you know. I loved The Wizard of Oz as a child, so I could say I know the classic story inside and out. I can't tell you how many times I've seen Judy Garland tap her ruby slippers together. However, this project illuminates the story in a different light. As someone who grew up envisioning every storybook villain as someone with green skin like the Wicked Witch of the West, I was very interested to read her perspective (as well as the perspectives of the other witches in Oz). I think this project was very well written, and a very creative idea overall! I think that might be an interesting topic to explore when I'm deciding what my project might be about.

Lobby card from the original 1939 release of The Wizard of Oz. Source: Wikimedia Commons.

Project 3: The Fairy Tale World

Personally, I think the idea of watching a fairy tale version of Big Brother would be amazing, and I would tune in for every new episode with popcorn in hand. This project married fairy tales and modern pop culture, and I really enjoyed reading it. However, at the same time I thought each story was funny, I also felt unexpectedly sad about the combination of idealistic fairy tales with harsh reality. When you watch Cinderella lose her glass slipper at the ball or sing with her animal friends, you don't wonder how she would react to feeling hungover after a night of shots at the club. Maybe the contrast between the fairy tale world and the world we live in was what the author wanted to call attention to. Either way, they did a great job.




Comments

Popular Posts